When you try to install Service Pack 4 or Hotfixes using Live Update in Backup Exec 12.5 on SBS 2008 you might find that you ge tError LU1812 and if you click the link you are lead to believe that the issue is with msxml3 or something along those lines. In relality the issue is actually with the fact that you didn’t run Backup Exec as an administrator when you started it and stupid UAC kicks in and prevents Live Update from installing the updates. All you need to do to work around this issue is to “Run As Administrator” when you start Backup Exec with the intention of running Live Update to install any service packs or hot fixes. It’s certainly annoying that you are led down the wrong path by Symantec but at least there’s a simple solution, which in hindsight seems rather obvious. Hope this helps someone.
Archive for December 2011
There is nothing more annoying than waiting for hours while Small Business Server is Applying Computer Settings and you don’t even know if its going to work or not because you’ve just installed some Windows Update which will in all likelyhood break just as many things as it will fix. Luckily a search for SBS 2008 Applying Computer Settings quickly revealed that SBS 2008 is having an cow because IPv6 is disabled. Any normal IT person would consider disabling something they’re not using, but Microsoft doesn’t seem to think of that and doesn’t warn you about it or anything else. It turns out half of SBS 2008 seem to be dependent on IPv6. How bloody stupid is that when hardly anyone was using IPv6 in 2008 when it came out and it’s still not very widely used now. If you want your SBS 2008 to apply computer settings fast you just need to make sure IPv6 is enabled or is completed disabled using a registry hack. You can re-enable IPv6 by going into safe mode with networking and your network cable unplugged.
You can find more information here: http://achugh.wordpress.com/2009/06/17/small-business-server-2008-and-applying-computer-settings-message/
You can also find some more here: http://achugh.wordpress.com/2009/09/07/more-on-sbs-2008-issue-applying-computer-settings-message/
Hope this helps.
Once you have this working you can try work out what else is wrong with you piece of shit SBS 2008.
If you are looking for a Business Grade VoIP Service Provider I would recomment that you avoid Engin unless you’re looking for a very basic level of support and don’t care much about your service. Their resources seem to be overstreched as is and when it comes to public holidays in Australia their support is simply non-existent. Today I’m having issues with my Asterisk PBX being unable to register to Engin and when I called Engin there is just nobody there competent of helping me. They have a call center somewhere overseas for level 1 support and apparently for a connectivity issue like mine, which to me seems to clearly be an issue on their end, they have nobody there to look at the issue. The level 1 support guy simply told me to call back tomorrow. This is all well and good if you don’t care much for your phone but it’s just not good enough for a BUSINESS VOIP service. It seems that Engin are not quite capable of distinguishing between consumer and business telecommunications needs. Perhaps if anyone from Engin reads this they will find out that businesses cannot afford to have downtime just because it’s a public holiday because they still work on public holidays. That means there needs to be a competent support person available to resolve critical issues. The level 1 support guys seem to treat everyone including highly technical users as idiots and are completely useless themselves other than to read out scripted answers. My advice if you’re looking for a business voip provider, avoid Engin and ASK whichever service provider you intend to go with as to what their support is like on weekends and on public holidays. Unless you just don’t care about that.
I havn’t been using SQL Server on my development machine for a while so to speed things up I changed the service startup to manual. Recently I’ve needed SQL Server but when I tried to start the service I got an error saying Windows could not start the SQL Server on Local Computer with the Error Code 3417. This was rather odd, so I started doing some google searched but with no direct answer other than people saying that there are issues with the master DB. As it turned out because i havn’t been using SQL Server (and hence the DB files weren’t being used) Windows has compressed these files to save space (They were coming up with blue colour in the file system). So I selected all DB and Log files in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA folder, went in Properties -> Advanced and unticked the “Compress contents to save disk space” checkbox. After this all files have turned black and I had no issues starting the service
I have recently bought a High-Point RocketRAID 640 card so that I can run some SSDs in a RAID. After installing the card by following the instructions I found that the system started getting a driver issue with Base System Device. After considerable searching on the internet I have found a post on a forum about this issue (RocketRAID Base SYstem Device Driver Problem). The issue is basically that there are no drivers for the PLX PEX 8609-BA50BC bridge chip that is used on the RocketRAID card. So, what I have done is emailed HighPoint and asked them to send me the drivers (which is apparently what they did to resolve the issue for the guy at Tweak Town who tested their device). I’m not sure why on earth they don’t just publish the driver or stick it onto their CD that comes with the card. I will update this post if I get the driver from them. Read more…