When you try to install Service Pack 4 or Hotfixes using Live Update in Backup Exec 12.5 on SBS 2008 you might find that you ge tError LU1812 and if you click the link you are lead to believe that the issue is with msxml3 or something along those lines. In relality the issue is actually with the fact that you didn’t run Backup Exec as an administrator when you started it and stupid UAC kicks in and prevents Live Update from installing the updates. All you need to do to work around this issue is to “Run As Administrator” when you start Backup Exec with the intention of running Live Update to install any service packs or hot fixes. It’s certainly annoying that you are led down the wrong path by Symantec but at least there’s a simple solution, which in hindsight seems rather obvious. Hope this helps someone.
There is nothing more annoying than waiting for hours while Small Business Server is Applying Computer Settings and you don’t even know if its going to work or not because you’ve just installed some Windows Update which will in all likelyhood break just as many things as it will fix. Luckily a search for SBS 2008 Applying Computer Settings quickly revealed that SBS 2008 is having an cow because IPv6 is disabled. Any normal IT person would consider disabling something they’re not using, but Microsoft doesn’t seem to think of that and doesn’t warn you about it or anything else. It turns out half of SBS 2008 seem to be dependent on IPv6. How bloody stupid is that when hardly anyone was using IPv6 in 2008 when it came out and it’s still not very widely used now. If you want your SBS 2008 to apply computer settings fast you just need to make sure IPv6 is enabled or is completed disabled using a registry hack. You can re-enable IPv6 by going into safe mode with networking and your network cable unplugged.
You can find more information here: http://achugh.wordpress.com/2009/06/17/small-business-server-2008-and-applying-computer-settings-message/
You can also find some more here: http://achugh.wordpress.com/2009/09/07/more-on-sbs-2008-issue-applying-computer-settings-message/
Hope this helps.
Once you have this working you can try work out what else is wrong with you piece of shit SBS 2008.
I’ve tried finding a comparison of Gigabit Ethernet vs USB 2.0 transfer speed performance on the internet but couldn’t find anything useful as everyone compared theoretical speeds rather than actual speeds saying that Gigabit is faster. I didn’t believe that as actual and theoretical transfer speeds are two different things. I did the testing myself on an SBS 2008 server with a powered external Seagate USB 2.0 3.5″ 1.5TB drive plugged into the server and compared that with a Gigabit ethernet Thecus NAS and copied 5GB files from both USB and the gigabit ethernet NAS onto the server. It’s also worth noting that the NAS is connected to the server via Cat6e cable via a quality Netgear Gigabit Ethernet Switch (with separate buffers on each channel, etc), and Both the NAS and the server have dual gigabit cards configured to run in a loadbalanced arrangement. The result I got was 2:45 for USB 2.0 external hard drive and 3:45 for the Gigabit Ethernet NAS. This was done on the weekend too, so there was no other load on the network. So even though in theory Gigabit Ethernet should be faster, in practice USB 2.0 is actually faster. So if you’re trying to work out whether to do backups to a NAS connected via gigabit lan or an external USB 2.0 drive then if performance is your main consideration the USB 2.0 drive should actually be faster. It’s also worth noting that 2.5″ USB 2.0 drive that draw their power from USB 2.0 actually seem to run a fair bit slower than the powered USB drive.
It’s pretty common to connect SAMBA based NASes and other devices to an SBS 2008 network. For example in our case we’ve got a Thecus NAS, but I’ve heard of other people trying to connect Netgear ReadyNAS, QNAP NAS and other NAS servers. It’s also pretty common to need to join these devices to the SBS 2008 Domain, which results in these items getting created in Active Directory. The problem however that this generates is that the Event Log / Event Viewer gets flooded with EventID 10009 DCOM Errors saying DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer <computer> using any of the configured protocols.
I’ve searched far and wide for the solution and still havn’t been able to find anything official. The best I came across was DCOM 10009 errors on SBS2008 with NAS. I tried doing that by deleting the computer record in AD and then creating a new record as pre Windows 2000 computer. I should also mention that I have these records in a separate OU under MyBusiness/Computers. After deleting and re-creating these records I had to re-join the devices to the domain. It looked like the issue was fixed, but then I checked the log again and it seems I’m still getting the DCOM 10009 errors, so not really sure what else to do. Either way, this is the only reasonable solution that might actually fix it for you, and if you don’t re-join the device to the domain after deleting and re-creating the device in AD, then you might not be able to authenticate with the device at all. Hope this helps.